In a statement released last night, the spokesman and secretary general of the government said that Burundi was the victim of an armed attack by Rwanda.
The attack was carried out on the night of November 16 to 17.
Prosper Ntahorwamiye says that the Rwandan army perpetrated an attack against a military post of the Burundian army on Mount Twinyoni at Marura village in Mabayi district “This attack is added to several attacks by the same country and have been denounced by regional and international bodies,” the document said.
The Burundian government also accuses Rwanda of refusing investigations to be carried out on its territory to verify para-military training and the arming of young Burundians ”taken hostage at the Mahama refugee camp”.
“The Burundi government has filed complaints at the East African Community, the International Conference on the Great Lakes Region, the African Union and the United Nations to denounce all those aggressions”, says the statement.
Despite all those complaints filed with no action so far, the spokesman of the Burundian government says that Burundi has again been a victim of an aggression that resulted in material and human damage. However, the toll is not specified. Mr. Ntahorwamiye deplores what he describes as inertia of the regional and international bodies already seized.
If nothing is done, he says that “such actions by Rwanda against Burundi pose a threat to the peace and security of the entire Great Lakes region”, while threatening to “resort to
self-defense in case of recidivism”.